Manchester UMC: COVID-19 Response
As all of our communities seek to mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 virus, Manchester United Methodist Church is committed to following best practices to care for the health of those in our community. We will follow the direction of the state and county health departments and the guidance of the Michigan Area Bishop while striving to create a safe environment for all.
Following new guidance issued by the Washtenaw County Health Department, we have set the attendance limit in both the fellowship hall (Hoffer Hall) and sanctuary to 10 individuals. We have temporarily suspended office hours; office staff can be contacted at any time here.
At this time, our live-stream worship each Sunday at 10:30am remains our primary worship service. When safe, we anticipate beginning to offer a Morning Prayer service in-person at the church on Sundays at 9:00am. This service will include the sermon and scripture, as also used in the live-stream, but in adherence to best practices will not include congregational singing. A full description of health precautions is included below.
We are continuing to monitor the spread of COVID-19 and are committed to adapting our response as necessary, stewarding the shared health of our community while also working to ensure the full accessibility of our worship. The most up-to-date information about when the Morning Prayer service will begin and other changes to our COVID-19 precautions will be shared by email and on our Facebook page. Thank you for your support, flexibility, and encouragement as we continue to be the church in these unusual times!
Online Worship & Virtual Coffee Hour
We are streaming a live worship service Sundays at 10:30am on our YouTube channel with a virtual coffee hour to follow. Each service includes familiar hymns, prayer requests, a scripture reading, and a sermon. Previously streamed worship services can be watched in their entirety here. Join our email list to receive the weekly bulletin with details and the link for virtual coffee hour.
As an alternative to our live streamed services, we are offering weekly at-home worship guides as a way to worship with those in your household. The at-home worship guides are available here on our website and are mailed to congregants with no internet access.
Groups of fewer than 10 meeting in-person are asked to adhere to the following precautions:
- Pre-screening Questions: use the questions posted in the building and on our website to determine whether or not to attend in-person.
- Masks: we ask that all participants wear masks and will provide a number of cloth masks for those who arrive without one; accommodations will be made for individuals unable to wear a mask.
- Physical Distancing: we ask that all participants maintain a distance of six feet from those outside their household at all times while in the building.
- No Food/Beverages: there will not be food or beverages provided or shared but individuals may bring their own.
- Cleaning: we ask that table and chair surfaces be wiped down at the end of the gathering and will schedule meetings to allow for thorough cleaning between building use.
- Contact Tracing: meetings hosts will record attendance by name to track viral transmission as necessary.
Morning Prayer Service
We are planning to add a Morning Prayer service in-person at the church on Sundays at 9:00am, pending safe conditions in our community. When it begins, this service will follow the following health precautions:
- Pre-registration: all attendants must complete a registration form online or by contacting the church office to ensure adherence to attendance guidelines, pre-screening questions, and contact tracing.
- Masks: in accordance with all in-person activities at the church, masks are required at all times while in the church building.
- Physical Distancing: pews will be marked so everyone may maintain a distance of six feet from those outside of their household while in the church building.
- Hand Sanitizer: everyone is asked to use the hand sanitizer provided at each entrance when entering the church building.
- Other precautions: we will not use name tags, bulletins, hymnals, or offering plates, and the service will not include congregational singing.